Office spirometry is quickly becoming a vital tool for doctors. Here are three reasons why you should consider adding this medical device to your practice:
1. Your Office sees patients with indications for spirometry.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), COPD is now the third leading cause of death in the U.S.A.
- Of the top three diseases which include heart disease and cancer, COPD is the only disease that is increasing in prevalence rather than decreasing.
- The number of Americans with COPD is estimated at 24 million, but only half of them have been diagnosed with the disease. There is one death every four minutes, more than breast cancer and diabetes combined.
According to the Allergy and Asthma Foundation of America, every day in America:
- 40,000 people miss school or work due to asthma;
- 30,000 people have an asthma attack;
- 5,000 people visit the emergency room due to asthma;
- 1,000 people are admitted to the hospital due to asthma;
- 11 people die from asthma;
2. Office spirometry is cost effective and generates revenue.
- Office spirometry is third party reimbursable with an average reimbursement of $35 for a simple five minute non-invasive test.
- The average primary care physician performs 10 tests per week and pays for their equipment in two months or less.
- Mouthpieces and other spirometry supplies are cost effective.
3. Equipment is easy to use.
- Unless the equipment is easy to use, it will not be fully utilized by your staff.
- All Micro Direct spirometers are menu driven via a large graphic display and the test takes less than five minutes to perform.
- Some manufacturers such as Schiller and SDI include printable reports built into the spirometer.
- The equipment performs all of the calculations, test quality control checks, and provides a confirming diagnostic interpretation.
For more information on spirometers or to make a purchase, call 877-646-3300 or visit Medical Device Depot.