Emergency eye wash stations, while performing a simple but vital function, come in a variety of models. While portable units allow one to set up these important emergency stations in virtually any location, they have limited water supply and don’t function as well as fixed eye rinse stations that hooked into a water system.
The Opti-Klens I Eyewash Fountain is a simple adapter that can transform most lab faucets into an eyewash system. With no special plumbing required, it’s easy to set up.
Once installed, be sure to review the following steps for properly rinsing your eyes.
- Don’t wait or second guess. Go immediately to the eye wash fountain. Better to be overly cautious than risk a permanent eye injury.
- Use your fingers to hold open your eyes.
- Roll your eyeballs around, up and down, from right to left. This will ensure fluid is reaching and flushing all areas of your eyes.
- Continue to do this for 15 minutes. You need to be sure you are diluting the chemical and flushing it from your eye. This cannot happen in under 15 minutes!
- Take out your contacts. Don’t stop to take them out before beginning the process; do this while flushing your eyes.
- Seek professional help. Once you have completed flushing your eyes, visit a doctor. There may be important steps you need to take to preserve your vision.